I taught math for eight years, and at least a couple times a year a student would ask this question, usually right in the middle of class. It’s a great question, and I would try to give a full answer, but I really wish I could’ve looked the student right in the eyes and said “I don’t know!” because in the end that’s true. I can list ways that math is useful and examples of many careers that require math knowledge, but the bottom line is I never knew what God would call each student to in the future. My job was to do my part to prepare them for WHATEVER God calls them to. That may or may not require a lot of math, but God put them in my class for a reason, and we should all want to prepare for whatever God has for us to do.
Exodus 38:23 describes a guy who was “an engraver, and a cunning workman, and an embroiderer in blue, and in purple, and in scarlet, and fine linen.” This was a person who developed his skills and was able to use those abilities to help build the tabernacle where people worshipped God. God can use anyone, but He often chooses to use people who are willing to develop what He’s given them.
I don’t know how God will use every class you take, every talent you have, or every skill you get the chance to develop, but I do know He has you where you are for a reason. Serve Him right now. Grow, learn more, develop your talents, and prepare to serve the Lord however and wherever He places you.
Romans 12:1 tells us to “present your bodies a living sacrifice,” and I hope you are willing to do whatever God wants you to do. A big part of that is to grow and develop your abilities, even if it’s your least favorite class or the worst part of your job.
Do I think everyone should grab a math book and do some extra Algebra this summer? NO! But I do think every one of us should develop our God-given talents so that we can do even more for Him.
If you want God to use you but don't feel like you're accomplishing as much as you'd like to, check out this article: "Encouragement for When You Feel Like You Can’t Make a Difference"
For more daily encouragement, SUBSCRIBING HERE to get daily encouragement emailed to you.
Or check out my social media:
