After touching the pavement, I definitely thought it was hot enough to cook that egg, but as you can see, after 1 second, 1 minute, 1 day, and then a week and a half, it just kinda sat there and then dried out without cooking! It felt hot enough, but my feelings were wrong. This is actually the second time I’ve tried to do this recently, and it hasn’t worked either time. Maybe I should wait until it’s actually summer! 🤔
If feelings can be wrong on something as simple as how hot pavement is, we shouldn’t trust our feelings to lead us in life either. Jeremiah 17:9 says, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” Apart from God leading us, we are destined for failure, but thankfully God has given us the Bible to show us the right way to go. The next time something wrong feels like the right thing to do, let’s allow God’s Word to guide us instead.
“Follow your heart and you’ll never go wrong” often sounds good BEFORE a decision, but “oops” or “Wow, I’m glad I didn’t do that!” are things I normally say AFTER. It’s much better to base our lives on what Jesus said in Matthew 4:4 “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” Whether it’s feelings of hunger, anger, fear, excitement, or sadness, emotions should help us but not boss us around. As Jim Schettler has said, “Emotions make great engines but terrible pilots.” Emotions are great, God-given things that need to be used the right way. Emotions can motivate us and push us forward; let’s just make sure we’re facing the right direction first.
Dig into our emotions even more with this fun post: "When Jesus Does Something Awesome, Are You Amused, Amazed, or Skeptical?"
For more daily encouragement, SUBSCRIBING HERE to get daily encouragement emailed to you.
Or check out my social media:
