How to Step into the Unknown without Sinking

Oobleck! Did anyone else not know that there’s an actual name for cornstarch and water mixed together? If you’ve never made this stuff, just mix a little water into cornstarch and give it a punch: your hand will smack on the top and not sink in. Then slowly poke your finger into it: it’ll sink right in. 


I’ve always wanted to make gallons of this stuff in a kiddie pool and see if I could walk across it (anyone have a whole bunch of cornstarch they wanna give me? 😏). We’d have to get the mixture just right, but a lot would probably come down to how confidently I could step onto it and walk across it. If I stopped to think about it, I’d sink for sure! 


You may know what happened one time when Jesus’ disciples were on their own…at sea…in the middle of a storm, and then they saw what they thought was a ghost walking on the water! Jesus let them know it was actually Him, and Peter was willing to get out of the boat to go to Him. Matthew 14:28-31 says, “And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. 31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him.”


It was never the water that was holding Peter up; it was Jesus! There’s nothing you and I will ever face that can make us sink if we keep our eyes on Jesus! Storms and uncertainty will always be there, but so will Jesus! So often we wait for the storm to stop instead of focusing on Jesus right in the middle of the storm. 


How do you step into the unknown without sinking? By trusting the One Who’s with you! As Corrie ten Boom said, “Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” I’d rather be in the storm WITH JESUS than anywhere else without Him!

Also check out this post about Encouragement for When Life Is Swirling All around You

To see more daily encouragement:

SUBSCRIBE HERE to get daily encouragement emailed to you or check out my social media: 

Facebook

Instagram