Don’t respond based on emotion
I’m not a very good running partner for my wife tonight, but with the cold I’m dealing with. I really felt like staying on the couch. So at least I’m walking as Jen runs off into the distance!
I felt like lying around all evening, but that wouldn’t have helped me. If we make decisions based on emotions, we will almost always have regrets.
Emotional overreactions happen in a moment but often take much longer to fix.
Judges 21:1 says, “Now the men of Israel had sworn in Mizpeh, saying, There shall not any of us give his daughter unto Benjamin to wife.”
We rarely make right decisions in a hurry, and this hasty reaction was wrong.
Benjamin was defending sinful actions instead of rooting out the evil, but the rest of Israel’s overreaction would hinder generations to come.
Israel needed to make bold decisions, but those decisions needed to be based on truth not brash emotions.
Today’s Bible reading is Judges 21.
