Got to interact a little bit with an agnostic person online the other day. He put God to a test to see if he could drop a remote and have God make it float instead of letting it fall. Didn’t happen. I told him that God doesn’t necessarily submit to our tests.
The more I think about it the more I believe he and many others don’t put God to a true test but instead test God to see if He’ll be their magic genie they can control and manipulate, a god that obeys them and behaves the way they expect, not the way the Bible says. And when God doesn’t act like a genie under their control, they reject any belief in God. How tragically sad!
John 20:24-25 says, “But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
I believe Jesus answered Thomas’s doubts and Thomas’s test because Thomas knew that only God could raise Himself from the dead. It was a God test not a genie test at least. God will always pass the God test. Let’s not put Him to our own made up test. And even better: Let’s move forward with Him and for Him in faith.
