What goes up must come down?


Sometimes really, really fast!  When we took the girls to Hershey Park a couple years ago, I definitely didn’t want to ride those drop towers. But this time I was up to riding it with Addison (but I think twice in a row was a mistake!). 


Some things go up just to come right back down, but sometimes things aren’t meant to do that. 


The phrase “under the sun” occurs 27 times in the Bible, all in the book of Ecclesiastes. It doesn’t mean getting a tan; it’s a way of referring to living here on earth without the hope and purpose God offers us. 


Here are a couple of those verses: 


“I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.” (Ecclesiastes 1:14)


“Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit.” (Ecclesiastes 2:17)


The whole point is that we don’t have to live “under the sun.” We can rise above this temporary life and live for things that are eternal. 


Our hope doesn’t have to rise and fall with each thing that happens to us. 


Our joy can stay steady. 


We don’t have to backslide or have low points in our relationship with God. 


Because of our relationship with God, we don’t have to just live “under the sun.”