Give It a Try!

 

One of my favorite things to do at IKEA, the Swedish furniture store, is to try to pronounce the Swedish names on the labels. I’m sure my Swedish is pretty horrible (I’ll post a video version of this devotional where you can hear my weak attempts)! At least I gave it a try! 


It was hockey legend Wayne Gretzky who said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” God gives us talents and opportunities. Some things He calls us to do will be hard, but we’re guaranteed to fail if we don’t give it a shot! 


Matthew 25:14-15 says, “For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. 15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.” The traveler in the parable returns, and verses 24-25 say, “Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: 25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.” What a waste! It’s ok to try and fail; we’re all human after all! But to hide our talents or run from opportunities is far worse than trying and failing. 


Maybe you have one talent or opportunity to serve Jesus right now. Maybe it’s more like five or ten. Doesn’t matter as long as you step up and use what you’ve been given. When God wants to do something through our lives, we should be glad just to be a part of it!


If you’re not allowing God to use your life right now, give it a try. I think you’ll like it, and I KNOW you’ll be a part of something that genuinely matters for eternity! 

Check out more encouragement:

To learn how you can begin a relationship with Jesus, check out whatdoUwonder com