I’m not Sure I Know What a Mackerel Sky Means, But Here’s Something We Can Always Know for Certain


I’m curious about 2 things right off: Is that what you call those clouds? And what do you think they mean? I’ve always called that a mackerel sky and figured it means rain is coming. A quick google search says they mean warmer weather coming (which often brings rain). I took that picture on Saturday, and sure enough Sunday was warmer and rainy. In a chaotic, unpredictable world, it’s nice to have something predictable, something we can know for sure. 


Psalms 40:1-2 says, “I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.” One thing all this rain brings is mud! It’s easy to sink down and get stuck in the mud, and it’s easy to feel like we’re sinking emotionally and spiritually when we’re surrounded by doubts and uncertainties and nothing feels solid and sure. But one definite, guaranteed thing we can count on is that God is able to keep us on solid ground no matter what we face. The world might be sinking all around us, but we we can stand strong, confident in Him and His promises. Psalms has been called the emotional handbook of the Bible. God sees what we’re going through and wants us to have a firm foundation spiritually and emotionally. A mackerel sky may or may not indicate that rain is coming, but we’ll always be on solid ground when we pray to God and accept His help. 


Check out more encouragement: 

TikTok        YouTube         Facebook       Instagram


To learn how you can begin a relationship with Jesus, check out whatdoUwonder com