Is your tree up yet? I did my annual job of carrying up the Christmas boxes the other day, and Jen and the girls did a great job from there (I’m willing to help more, but sometimes the best way to help is just to stay out of the way!). I enjoy Christmas decorations, but I especially love making family memories while celebrating the true meaning of the season: Jesus’ birth.
It seems like we are all doing more and more (and more) for Christmas all the time. More gifts, more travel (at least after covid!), more pressure, more stress, but more Christ? Are we getting so busy in the routine that we miss Jesus?
A great verse for the Christmas season is Mark 6:31: “And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.” Jesus knew that the disciples needed to step back from the busy “rat race” of life and just rest a bit and spend time with Him sometimes, and He knows that we need that too. It’s been wisely said that we are human BEINGS not human DOINGS. It’s possible to make a living without making a life, and it’s possible to have the best decorations and the worst home this Christmas. Let’s not get so caught up in the stress and pressure of life that we miss the point. I hope all of your Christmas decorations come together just right, but more than that, I hope this will be a peaceful month of remembering our Savior and not a panicked month of desperately trying to get less-important things done.
