Ever been so tired that a pot of coffee sounded better than a single cup? The struggle is real sometimes! Maybe I’m also not the only one who’s ever been too tired to make coffee right (putting the grounds in the right place with the right amount of water AND hitting the right buttons is a lot to do before you’ve had any coffee! 🤔). There’s a right way and a wrong way to use a coffee maker, and that’s true for our speech as well. Thankfully, God’s Word tells us how to use our words the right way.
Colossians 4:6 says, “Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.” Our words should be kind and helpful (“alway with grace”) and have some biblical “seasoning” to them. Seasonings make food better or we wouldn’t add them! Our words should make the conversation better and encourage people to keep going and do something worthwhile.
I’m all for talking about things like sports (Go Florida Gators!), but I hope my words go beyond that too. I’m a better person because of many conversations I’ve had with people, and I hope that’ll be true for everyone who talks to me as well. Let’s use our words (and our coffee makers) the right way today!
