Great game against Utah last night…and a great win for the Gators! I understand if you cheer for another team or don’t even like football. I probably can’t change what you prefer, and that’s ok, at least for stuff like sports!
Even when it comes to real issues, I used to love learning just so that I could argue with people about what I believe, but I’ve realized that using the Bible to look at others instead of first examining my own life is wrong.
Matthew 7:3-5 says, “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.” Those verses don’t forbid us from helping others see how they can grow and improve, just that we each need to start with ourselves first. We also need to let God and His Word be our standard, not our own preferences and opinions.
Everyone won’t become a Gators fan, and it wouldn’t be the end of the world if my family started rooting for another team. But we all need to make sure our lives match up to what our Creator tells us in the Bible, and I hope to always start by looking at my own life first.
