Why Is It Called THAT?!?

As a guy who grew up in Pennsylvania and has also lived in Florida, South Carolina, and Texas before moving to Virginia 5 years ago, let me first of all say how much I LOVE the Shenandoah Valley. But I also have to admit that some of the names for things around here still confuse me! That PURPLE tree behind me (and all over the place right now) is called a REDbud! I’m sure the buds may have a different color, but I never notice anything until they burst out purple! The name always seems wrong!


I do know how to pronounce Raphine, Staunton, Buchanan, Botetourt, and Buena Vista just like a local! Honestly everywhere I’ve ever lived has had unique names for things and different ways of saying things, but the name that’s the most shocking is the name we all have for today: GOOD Friday! Who was it good for?


This is the day we typically set aside to commemorate Jesus’ death on the cross, and Isaiah 53:9-10 says that Jesus “had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him.” No loving father would ever want their son to go through something undeserved and horrible like the cross, but God was not pleased that Jesus had to go through the cross. God the Father was pleased that Jesus’ sacrifice would offer you and me the opportunity for the greatest good we can ever get: salvation!


Roman men may have held the hammer and nails, but Jesus chose the cross for our good. As one pastor put it, “The worst day in history is the one we now call good. Only God.” God is the Master at bringing good from awful, and Jesus went through the WORST so that we can enjoy the best: a relationship with Him! 


For another look at this beautiful valley, check this encouraging post out!

To see encouraging posts like this every day:

SUBSCRIBE HERE or check out my social media: 

Facebook

Instagram