Encouragement for When You Know Some Things Have to Go

 

 

Putting NUTRITION labels on soda is ironic, but I’ve learned that too much sugar messes me up! A few months before COVID hit, I got sick and tired of having extra weight and feeling sluggish. I decided to exercise more and wanted to change my diet, at least a little, by cutting back on sugar. That decision really helps me…when I actually do it! My brain is clearer, and I keep some extra pounds off. I don’t always succeed, but I definitely have good motivation to cut out sugar! 

 

As Christians, we have good motivation to resist temptation. Romans 6:1-4 says, “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” If you’re a Christian, God has forever changed you, and we should be motivated to live in that “newness of life.” Anything that tries to keep us from enjoying that new life has to go! 

 

We don’t resist temptation to try to earn our salvation, but we should say no to sin because Jesus died for us and gives us the opportunity to live for much better things than sins that will drag us down and mess things up way more than sugar ever could!

 

When I look at a nutrition label and tell myself things like, “It’s not THAT MUCH sugar. I’ll be okay,” I end with less energy and more weight. And when we look at a temptation to sin and make the same excuse or convince ourselves that it’s ok because we’re already forgiven through God’s grace, we’ve missed the point. It doesn’t matter if everyone’s doing it or we think no one will know; what Jesus did for us should motivate us to do all we can for Him!


Click for another devotion blog with lighthearted food advice.


To see encouraging posts like this every day:

SUBSCRIBE HERE or check out my social media: 

Facebook

Instagram