Invest the Time


Time. I love time with my family, and I’ve also learned that it can take me a long time to learn a simple lesson. Sometimes we can tell that something is bothering Addison, but she doesn’t always want to talk about what’s on her heart. It’s easy to give up or feel helpless, but I’m finally learning the simple secret: if I take the one-on-one time to reassure her and tell her I’ll be glad to listen whenever she is ready to talk (and then take the time to wait), I connect with her in a very meaningful way. She appreciates the time and usually opens up quickly. Real, heart-to-heart communication takes time and is worth it. 
 

In Matthew 6:7-8, Jesus says, “But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.” 

 

Vain repetition is easy but that also has no meaning. Real prayer takes real time. But real prayer also brings real results. God answers according to His perfect plan (and is good enough to tell us no when He has something better in mind), and often the best results from time talking to Jesus may be a deeper relationship with Him and the encouragement to press on. Addison needs to know that we love her and care about what she cares about. The cross where Jesus died for us proves beyond ANY doubt that Jesus loves you and me, and 1 Peter 5:7 shows that He cares about what we care about: “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”

 

Let’s take the time to really talk to our Savior and genuinely listen to Him as we read His Word. It takes time but is always worth every minute.


Some Extra Bible Reading I Try to Do Each Day


Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. 11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward. 12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. 13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.