What’s it take to shock you?


A lot of the pictures I post for devotionals are staged, but this one is real. What’s funny is that we weren’t watching anything shocking; in fact, we were watching silly cat videos on YouTube while waiting for a table to be ready in Outback! 


Some people mock sin, but others realize how big of a deal it is and are even shocked by it. Ezra was that second kind of person, and God used him in a big way. Ezra 9:3 says, “And when I heard this thing, I rent my garment and my mantle, and plucked off the hair of my head and of my beard, and sat down astonied.” The sin Israel was involved in shocked Ezra and caused him to mourn. 


Sin is such a big deal that it had to be paid for…and God took the payment on Himself. Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Trusting Jesus as your personal Savior is the best decision you could ever make! 


We live in a world where almost nothing shocks us anymore, but let’s never let sin become normal to us. And let’s be shocked most of all by our own sin so that we’ll see the need to come to Jesus. 

Check out more encouragement:

To learn how you can begin a relationship with Jesus, check out whatdoUwonder com