Thanksgiving Part 2: I’m thankful for our country and especially for our eternal home in heaven!

student singing a patriotic song


I’m genuinely proud to be an American! I walked by as Addison and her class were singing “I Love America” the other day, and I’m glad our girls sing a lot of meaningful patriotic songs. No country is perfect, but America has been good to me and a blessing to millions over the years. I never want to let political issues make me ungrateful for the good we enjoy in America, and I’m thankful that God is in ultimately in control. Proverbs 21:1 says, “The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water:

he turneth it whithersoever he will.


As much as I want I to focus on the things I disagree with in our country, I’m thankful for opportunities to do our part to make America a better place. And I’m thankful that our hope doesn’t have to rise and fall with every election or news report. Psalms 37 gives us some great encouragement for living around imperfect people (which is all of us anyway!). Verses 1-3 say, “Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. 2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. 3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.” Because God is in control, we don’t have to freak out when sinful people do sinful things. We can trust God and hope in Him. He’s promised Christians a perfect home in heaven one day. And for day-to-day life right now, verse 4 is amazing: “Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.” Let’s stay thankful for the good, look for ways to improve our country, and always seek to please God most of all. 

Check out more encouragement: 

TikTok        YouTube         Facebook       Instagram


To learn how you can begin a relationship with Jesus, check out whatdoUwonder com


Check out my new book Daily Devotions at the Speed of Life on Amazon.com or by clicking here.